I graduated from Stanford University in 2013 with dual Bachelor’s in Civil Engineering and Architectural Design, and in 2015 with a Master’s in Structural Engineering. I was project manager of Stanford’s first-ever entry to the U.S. DOE’s 2013 Solar Decathlon. I’m Executive Director of City Systems, a nonprofit consultancy, and program manager / lecturer at Stanford’s Future Bay Initiative. Previously, I taught architecture at The Nueva School and worked on urban design under the name Cloud Arch Studio. I grew up in Arcadia (SoCal) but currently live in downtown San Francisco.
- Book reviews on Goodreads
- Playlists on Spotify
- Film reviews on Letterboxd
- Photography on Flickr
- Occasionally, tweets and twitter poems
- Arts and culture on a FB group (request to join)
- Moral epistemology on a private FB group (invite only)
- 5/13/21 – A spotlight on the Placekey Blog.
- 8/19/20 – “COVID-19 Spatial Research,” MapScaping Podcast. An interview I did about work by my practicum course at Stanford.
- 8/5/20 – “Sea level rise to choke Bay Area traffic as far away as Santa Rosa, Napa, study shows,” SF Chronicle. Highlighting research I co-authored.
- 6/25/20 – My guide to Asimov.
- 5/20/20 – “SafeGraph Data Consortium Seminar – Leveraging Data To Support Local Government And NonProfit Partners In COVID-19 Response.” A presentation of work by my practicum course at Stanford.
- 8/21/19 – “Behavior Change Case Study: City Systems & Affordable Housing,” Meeting of the Minds. A discussion of my nonprofit work in East Palo Alto.
- 3/7/19 – “Explore Stanford Summer Institutes,” Stanford Pre-Collegiate Studies. Some comments from me about my experience teaching high school students.
- 11/28/18 – “Stockton’s Revival – Universal Basic Income, Collective Impact and Economic Empowerment,” Meeting of the Minds. A video recording of a discussion I moderated with FUSE Fellow Ann Rogan and Mayor Michael Tubbs.
- 5/25/18 – “Built for Health: Public Spaces and Urban Design,” USGBC. A podcast interview I did about my experiences with urban design.
- 12/1/14 – “Re-engineering the Start.Home CORE for the Developing World with Derek Ouyang,” Stanford+Connects Seattle.
- 10/9/14 – “Thinking Outside the Bubble: Project-Based Learning in the 21st Century with Derek Ouyang,” Stanford+Connects NY.
- 9/4/14 – “Home Energy’s 30 under 30,” Home Energy Magazine.
- 6/20/13 – “The House That Teaches: Derek Ouyang at TEDxStanford.”
- 10/15/13 – “Derek Ouyang, home improver with a green goal,” LA Times.
Leave me anonymous questions/comments here.
Best albums, films, and books of the last few years:
|1||Birdy – Young Heart||Trace Mountains – Lost in the Country||American Football – American Football (LP3)||Say Sue Me – When We Were Together||Big Thief – Capacity|
|2||Charlie Hickey – Count the Stairs (EP)||Phoebe Bridgers – Punisher||The National – I Am Easy to Find||The 1975 – A Brief Inquiry Into Online Relationships||The National – Sleep Well Beast|
|3||Japanese Breakfast – Jubilee||Bonny Light Horseman – Bonny Light Horseman||Caroline Polachek – Pang||Big Red Machine – Big Red Machine||The War on Drugs – A Deeper Understanding|
|4||Kings of Convenience – Peace or Love||The 1975 – Notes on a Conditional Form||Fruit Bats – Gold Past Life||Luluc – Sculptor||Kendrick Lamar – DAMN.|
|5||Clairo – Sling||TORRES – Silver Tongue||Big Thief – U.F.O.F.||The Tallest Man On Earth – When The Bird Sees The Solid Ground||Rostam – Half-Light|
|6||Lucy Dacus – Home Video||Eve Owen – Don’t Let the Ink Dry||Clairo – Immunity||KIDS SEE GHOSTS – KIDS SEE GHOSTS||Jens Lekman – Life Will See You Now|
|7||Rostam – Changephobia||Whitney – Candid||Weyes Blood – Titanic Rising||Rhye – Blood||SZA – Ctrl|
|8||Lightning Bug – A Color of the Sky||Bombay Bicycle Club – Everything Else Has Gone Wrong||Hand Habits – placeholder||Trace Mountains – A Partner To Lean On||Real Estate – In Mind|
|9||Julien Baker – Little Oblivions||The Weeknd – After Hours||Stella Donnelly – Beware of the Dogs||Yo La Tengo – There’s A Riot Going On||Mac DeMarco – This Old Dog|
|10||Ethel Cain – Inbred||Kevin Krauter – Full Hand||Bayonne – Drastic Measures||Janelle Monae – Dirty Computer||Fleet Foxes – Crack-Up|
|1||Pig||Tenet||Parasite||You Were Never Really Here||Get Out|
|2||Lovers Rock||Ema||Portrait of a Lady on Fire||Hereditary||Raw|
|3||Nomadland||First Cow||Knives Out||A Quiet Place||The Florida Project|
|4||Luca||Blow the Man Down||1917||First Reformed||Dunkirk|
|5||Sound of Metal||The Trial of the Chicago 7||Uncut Gems||Into the Spider-verse||Call Me By Your Name|
|6||Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom||Crip Camp||Marriage Story||Cold War||Wind River|
|7||A Quiet Place Part II||Palm Springs||Little Women||Death of Stalin||Detroit|
|8||Beginning||Emma.||Peanut Butter Falcon||First Man||Lady Bird|
|9||No Sudden Move||Da 5 Bloods||Climax||The Favourite||Good Time|
|10||The Mitchells vs. The Machines||Onward||Avengers: Endgame||Avengers: Infinity War||Molly’s Game|
|1||The Story of a New Name by Elena Ferrante (2012)||The End of Eternity by Issac Asimov (1955)||Fleishman Is In Trouble by Taffy Brodesser-Akner||Ball Lightning by Cixin Liu (2004)||The Dark Forest by Cixin Liu (2008)|
|2||Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson (1992)||The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro (1989)||Exhalation by Ted Chiang||Less by Andrew Sean Greer (2017)||Forest Dark by Nicole Krauss (2017)|
|3||A Promised Land by Barack Obama (2020)||Apeirogon by Colum McCann||Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality by Eliezer Yudkowsky (2015)||The Overstory by Richard Powers||Evicted by Matthew Desmond (2016)|
|4||Klara and the Sun by Kazuo Ishiguro||The Plague by Albert Camus (1947)||An American Summer by Alex Kotlowitz||Enlightenment Now: The Case For Reason, Science, Humanism, and Progress by Steven Pinker||The Sympathizer by Viet Thanh Nguyen (2015)|
|5||Conjectures and Refutations by Karl Popper (2002)||Annihilation by Jeff Vandermeer (2014)||The Uninhabitable Earth by David Wallace-Wells||The Book of Why by Judea Pearl||Reasons and Persons by Derek Parfit (1984)|
|6||Those Who Leave and Those Who Stay by Elena Ferrante (2013)||Golden Gates by Conor Dougherty||Know My Name by Chanel Miller||Inadequate Equilibria: Where and How Civilizations Get Stuck by Eliezer Yudkowsky||Death’s End by Cixin Liu (2010)|
|7||The Story of the Lost Child by Elena Ferrante (2014)||Know Your Price by Andre Perry||Bad Blood by John Carreyrou (2018)||Killing Commendatore by Haruki Murakami||Commonwealth by Ann Patchett (2016)|
|8||Green Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson (1993)||The Meritocracy Trap by Daniel Markovits (2019)||Pachinko by Min Jin Lee (2017)||The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin (1969)||Systems of Survival by Jane Jacobs (1992)|
|9||Blue Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson (1996)||Self-Portrait in Black and White by Thomas Chatterton Williams (2019)||There There by Tommy Orange (2018)||The Wizard and the Prophet by Charles C. Mann||The Expanding Circle by Peter Singer (1981)|
|10||Crying in H Mart by Michelle Zauner||The Madness of Crowds by Douglas Murray (2019)||Because Internet by Gretchen McCulloch||The Captured Economy by Brink Lindsey & Steven M. Teles||When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi (2016)|